USSB Mission & Vision
Our Mission Statement
The Unitarian Society of Santa Barbara, a loving community of seekers:
- Living with integrity
- Nurturing wonder
- Inspiring action
adopted by the congregation, November 2013
Living with integrity, we:
- 1. Support each other in life and life’s transitions with loving care, joy, celebration and gratitude.
- 2. Care for the earth and its rich web of life for current and future generations.
Nurturing wonder, we:
- 3. Experience the transcendent that opens us to deep connection and life’s mystery.
- 4. Cultivate spiritual practices and engage in lifelong learning, utilizing our hearts and minds.
Inspiring action, we:
- 5. Shift the larger culture toward justice and compassion through bold individual and congregational endeavors.
- 6. Welcome and connect with people across differences of identity and lived experience.
adopted August, 2013 – revised January 2020
Timeline of the Unitarian Society of Santa Barbara
|1872-1876||Meeting in a private residence|
|1877||Rev. George Young forms Unitarian Society of Santa Barbara congregation|
|1890||Stone church built at the corner of Arlington Avenue and State Street|
|1921-1928||Dr. Lewis C. Carson, minister|
|1925||Earthquake destroys stone church building|
|1929-1932||Rev. Edward P. Daniels, minister|
|1930||Present Spanish-style church building completed|
|1933-1958||Rev. Berkeley Blake, minister|
|1949||Sarah Foot School opens (Starr King Parent Child Workshop)|
|1957||Blake Building completed and dedicated to Rev. Berkeley Blake|
|1959-1977||Rev. John Alexie “Lex” Crane, minister|
|1962||Jefferson Building added|
|1978-1990||Rev. Tony Friess Perrino, minister|
|1979-1982||Rev. Maren Hansen, associate minister|
|1982-1986||Rev. Frank Robertson, minister of religious education|
|1987-1994||Rev. Carol Edwards, minister of religious education|
|1990-1991||Rev. Jack Mendelsohn, interim minister|
|1991-1999||Rev. Sarah Moores Campbell, senior minister|
|1999-2001||Rev. James E. Grant, interim minister|
|2001-2008||Rev. Kenneth Collier, minister|
|2008-2009||Rev. Joy Atkinson, interim minister|
|2009-2014||Rev. Aaron McEmrys, minister|
|2011-2015||Rev. Julia Hamilton, associate minister|
|2014-2015||Rev. Lee Bond-Upson, interim minister|
|2015-||Rev. Julia Hamilton, lead minister|
|2015-2018||Rev. Caitlin Cotter Coillberg, assistant minister|