We are looking for a new Music Director!
The Unitarian Society of Santa Barbara (USSB) seeks a creative Music Director with strong musical and interpersonal skills who has experience with a broad range of musical talents and interests. The Music Director develops and implements a comprehensive music program for worship and other events in the life of USSB and the community. Under the general supervision of the Lead Minister, the Music Director is responsible for organizing and directing the USSB Choirs in worship and rehearsals, providing music for religious services and collaborating with the Minister, pianist, and Worship Arts Team on the selection of music and guest artists.
The position is 50% part-time, (approximately 20 hours per week) with benefits. Evening work hours are required for choral rehearsals and Sunday is a regular workday.
The ideal candidate will be creative, collaborative and experience joy in working with a socially-conscious and energetic congregation. USSB values a diverse workforce; people with disabilities, people of color, and those who identify as L/G/B/T/Q are strongly encouraged to apply.
Submit cover letter and resume by September 27, 2021 to Deb Karoff.
Please read the complete job description here: Music Director Job Description USSB 2021
USSB MUSIC MINISTRY VISION STATEMENT
The Music Ministry at the Unitarian Society of Santa Barbara . . .
- Amplifies and intensifies worship themes through creative and innovative use of repertoire, musicians, space, and other artistic elements
- Deepens the spiritual and transcendent experiences for the congregation as individuals and as a whole
- Inspires individual and community engagement by nourishing our best selves and supporting us in our work for justice
The Music Ministry at the Unitarian Society of Santa Barbara aspires to . . .
- Maintain the integrity and expression of music and worship in harmony with UU Principles
- Sustain a music ministry that embodies and enriches the worship experience
- Be a welcoming and inclusive congregation by broadening activity and participation by ethnicity, generations, identities, and lived experiences
- Promote Interfaith collaboration
- Use music to generate a vision of the beloved community we hope to become
Develop resources for expansion and growth to . . .
- Increase outreach and connections to the larger SB community
- Cultivate and nurture greater diversity in music selection, choir members, and instrumentalists
- Explore how music can expand awareness and help dismantle systems of oppression
- Maximize the benefits of technology to enhance the music program
August 11, 2021
Music is a vital component of our worship services at USSB. The mission of the music program is to create an atmosphere of inspiration and reflection. Using diverse repertoires, styles, languages, and presentation, we offer music that weaves together mind, heart, and soul.
During non-Covid times, we have two choirs that share the musical responsibilities for most services, the Treble Chorale and the Chancel Choir. They are both non-audition groups. Our membership has a wide range of ability yet still maintains a high performance standard.
The music program is a ministry based on sharing the joy of music. As the flame brings the chalice to life, music illuminates the tapestry of our lives.
- Chancel Choir During non-Covid times this choir is responsible for music on the second and fourth Sundays of the month.
- Treble Chorale During non-Covid times this choir is responsible for the music on the third Sunday of the month.